Check out the interview:
- What got you interested in starting your own design company? Share your story.
Love and a good work ethic. I’ve always had a passion for creating. At a young age I was constantly drawing, painting and starting little projects. I did always tell people I wanted to become a Doctor but I think that’s one of those standard responses all children have. Doctor, astronaut, soldier, nurse… you get the idea.
That idea evaporated during my school years. I quickly developed my passion for design in my favourite classes, Graphic Design and Art. I saw it as a break from the mundane. Despite that I was still plagued by the idea that a strong traditional career was the way forward in my life.
How wrong I was.
I finished my school years with high grades across the board. After dabbling in the standard set of teenage jobs (waiting, retail, etc.) I decided to knuckle down in the financial sector. Throughout these years I would work on weekends as a freelance designer, again viewing it as a break from the mundane. I built up a good group of long term clients that are still with us to this day.
My regular 9-5 was always going to incompatible with me. I’m a very hard worker and hated that I was making buckets of money for somebody else. That feeling eventually led to me breaking from the herd to pursue what I had always loved. I set up Original Nutter Design and began designing full time.
- Do you offer design services through Fiverr, if so how is it working for you? If not, why don’t you provide them on Fiverr?
I don’t offer work through Fiverr. I understand that it can be a fantastic platform for a lot of people but at its core I believe it undermines quality. It is impossible to offer somebody bespoke service that delivers high quality and great customer service for $5, both of which are core principles of mine.
- What are the biggest challenges when it comes to making a great design for a customer?
The sign of any great designer is the ability to translate a customer’s thoughts and expectations into well-considered design. That strangely enough is the biggest challenge. At Original Nutter Design we believe in building up a strong design brief before starting any project. That ensures we have a complete profile of your aims and informs us on the best way of reflecting those aims in perfect design
- How do you go about finding clients for your business? What’s working for you?
We have a number of streams for finding new business. The largest by far is the internet. That of course is quite a broad statement so I’ll break it down.
- Freelance websites: These are a great source of finding completely new business, though price battling with other sellers can be a nightmare.
- Organic Search Engine Traffic – If you’re starting up a business that requires a strong online presence get started on this early on. It can take a while to reward. Our leads are increasing month on month through this method.
- PPC Campaigns – If we ever introduce a new service or offer we will promote it using PPC networks to get the word out.
- Social Media – Probably one of the most undervalued sources for many businesses. We quite often generate leads by simply having a quick chat with people. The downside is that some accounts are run by marketing firms which will just stonewall anything deemed ‘salesy’.
- Returning Customers – We have been lucky enough to develop a strong returning customer base. This is why all-round quality is an absolute must.
- The old fashioned way – giving new businesses a call to offer a helping. It’s important not to sell! Not immediately anyway. Offer advice, and build up that trust.
- What are your future plans for 2015 and beyond? Share your story.
I’ve created monster inside me and it needs feeding! Not many people can say they love their job, I can. I love the satisfaction I get from providing our customers with everything they wanted and more. Going that extra mile for people really hits the spot for me.
2015 will see growth. I want to be able to reach out to more people to help them get the best out of their business.
We will be placing more focus on start-up businesses. I know first-hand how daunting it can be to place your life on the line to pursue something you love doing and in 2015 Original Nutter Design will be there to help.